Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Blog 13 Typing CATW 5

         In the article, "How to Do One Thing at a Time" by Nancy Jones she explains how multi-tasking can intefere and have a bad impact in our lives. If we end up performing difficult things all at once it is called multitasking. If you are trying to concentrate writing an essay but at the same time watching TV or eating supper then chances are we end up not doing well or neither. If we make one group do multi-tasking like playing chess and have him/her answering the cellphone a lot then chances are they don't do better in the game but if the other group of people are playing chess with no sound around or answering the phone then they do better. This is why Clifford Nass believes that the brain does better when we do things in an organizing order versus than doing them all together at the same time.
         One significant idea in the passage is when the author, Nancy Jones, points out about Clifford Nass quote when he says, "a tremendous amount of evidence shows that the brain does better when it's performing tasks in sequence rather than all at once", because for example if you are texting while driving then how can you concentrate when you are being cautious that you don't crash another car in front of you. This issue has been reported on the news every year. It has gotten out of hand that is is now close to the drunk driving accident issue. I don't understand how people can text and drive at the same time. Anyone doing that would have to wait for a red light to text. Instead  of texting I would let someone call me because it is much easier to view the cars that are in front of you while you drive and avoid accidents. Another good example I can give about multi-tasking is reading a complex book or doing homework of difficult math and listening to music at the same time because when I do listen to music I realize that I end up finishing later but if I don't listen to music I finish faster, concentrate better and remember more. This is why I think it makes sense that our brains have "cognitive" limits according to the passage. So if I'm doing homework and listening to music then it's more harder for the brain because the brain isn't a machine that can memorize all the steps or remember all the rules that apply to math all at once plus the stimulation that the brain recieves to the music I enjoy can just lead me to errors or forgetting when I don't even realize it as long as I research this matter or go to a yoga class I can cure my addiction to multi-tasking, you can too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, I am a tutor and I would like to make some recommendations on your writing.
    First of all, I think your essay looks great! The vocabulary and word choice are good,and your first paragraph looks excellent!
    The second paragraph seems a little long and contains many ideas which are great, but you can maybe add one more paragraph to separately include your personal response. I recommend you to separate the "most important point" from your personal response. By separating I don't mean that they don't have to be connected in terms of meaning, I just mean it in regards of paragraph organization.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete