Saturday, November 6, 2010

Blog 10 Where the Whale Be at?

In "Where The Whale Be At" by Terry J. Cole the author alerts us about how people of color should be caring of their environment or keep on facing the consequences. The author informs us about how land areas start as farms. As a result the population have a connection with the land. Since black people were the first and especially the people of the land it has been too difficult to know this in modern times. It also tells us that because we don't connect with the family this results in losing our values to the city. Since we don't seem to show interest on the issues of this matter the only way is reality. Lead poisoning, waste sites, and air pollution are among most people of color which leads to stroke, chronic pulmonary diseases, asthma,etc. Doctors who treat blacks for cardio arrest will least likely be alive because doctors probably wouldn't keep them alive.If there were more grocery stores around for people of color would reduce these illnesses. Just like people of color have been the main on a lot of movements they must also with the environment and they will never see the environment unless they turn on the TV.


           Based on my observations, from what I see on the news and from my opinions I think to solve this we first have to look at the roots of this issue and take in consideration. So I do agree with the author, on how colored people need to watch their environment and take caution of what we eat because this has been reported for years and years in the media also. Mostly what is being reported is the obesity rates among latinos in the Spanish media while in CNN we hear "America has the highest obesity of any country". In the newspapers like NY Post they always point out the areas of the most obese and with high risk of illnesses. Usually we can tell that these areas are mostly among blacks and latinos because of my observations. An example I can relate about the startling "more than 600,000 students-mostly African-Americans in New York, Massachusetts, California, who attend public schools located within one-half mile of state-identified contaminated sites" is that not only could this be happening in schools but the real problem may also be in that some of the areas they live in are usually in apartments where the walls or ceilings are cracked and are contaminated with lead as it was reported in the news as well. So I do think that first we need to lift the graduation rate. Then if latinos and blacks are gonna keep on breeding mostly than might as well pass on those values to them. Even if they don't graduate then at least work harder to create businesses that encourage cleaning efforts and get them aware of what is going on or volunteer somewhere. So I do agree when Bobby Seale says "the only solution to pollution is the people's humane solution". Same thing with food. Teach ourselves to make healthy foods or go to a seminar and unwind our mentality off the new generation of Mcdonalds,etc. The information is there. All we have to do is read and take action.

3 comments:

  1. Wow--what a thoughtful response; I like that you are ready to take action to make a better life for yourself and those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog Series Evaluation 4: Excellent job, especially on the last blogs--very detailed and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha thanks. Well most of what I wrote is based on my observations and what I see around, read, so only the truth. I hope I can be ready weather it be 1 or 2 businesses but there is too many dreams to decide on. Doesn't only have to be about helping to clean and food haha. Maybe all I can do is spread the word, that's if people listen! I will write the next blog response about "defense in food" as of today because since u did say u will check them "by the end of the weekend" then I hope I can still gain that credit before u stop checking them.

    I also realized I should have written less on the Meatrix summaries so I will recheck them and delete the minor details. The reason I wrote way too much for the 1st summaries of the Meatrix is I got sidetracked of the "250 word" part that was supposed to be for the response only I think.

    ReplyDelete